It's the start of The 13th Annual National Queer Arts Festival, and there are a couple of productions this week featuring some of the Bay Area's burlesque luminaries. The first happens on Friday at 7pm. "Queer Rebels of the Harlem Renaissance: A Night of BullDaggers, Sissies & Food!" will be performed at the African American Arts and Culture Complex in San Francisco. The show will star familiar names such as Simone de la Getto, King TuffNStuff, Vagina Jenkins, Ginger Snapz, and more!
On Sunday, catch "Flabulous 2! Fatter Than Ever!" at the African American Arts and Culture Complex starting at 7pm. The show feature lots of local burlesque artists and will highlight "the lived experiences of fat queers and envisioning revolutionary possibilities for fighting body fascism and embracing all bodies as beautiful."
In addition, there will be the regularly scheduled weekly and monthly shows: Barbary Coast Burlesque on Wednesday, Red Hots Burlesque and First Friday Follies on Friday, Burlesque n' Brass on Saturday, and the Hubba Hubba Revue at the Uptown in Oakland on Monday. It'll be a good mix of shows from which to choose!
- Wednesday, June 2: Barbary Coast Burlesque at the Hemlock Tavern in San Francisco, 1131 Polk Street. BCB presents Viva Las Vegas! See sexy showgirls spinning tassels from their own nude bosoms! Hips gyrating from every angle! Featuring Mae Western, Balla Fire, sASSy Hotbuns, Josie Starre, and Bunny Pistol. With host Kingfish of the Hubba Hubba Revue. Doors at 8:30pm, show at 9pm. $6, 21+ w/ID.
- Friday, June 4: Red Hots Burlesque at El Rio in San Francisco, 3158 Mission Street. Dottie Lux brings you a different show every single week! Each event promises the seductive and spicy, absurd and amusing all from local and visiting talent. Show at 7:30pm. $5-10, sliding scale. 21+ w/ID.
- Also, Friday: Queer Rebels of the Harlem Renaissance: A Night of BullDaggers, Sissies & Food! at the African American Arts and Culture Complex in San Francisco, 762 Fulton Street. Step back into history through the doors of a 1920’s Harlem Speakeasy! Behold Harlem’s poetic rebellion through multimedia, performance, and historic re-enactments of the vibrant gatherings, queer artistry and community of the Harlem Renaissance. Queer Rebels brings together internationally renowned talent, queer innovators, and emerging artists such as Simone de la Getto, King TuffNStuff, Vagina Jenkins, Ginger Snapz, and many others! Doors and libations at 7pm, show at 8pm. $15-20 advance tickets available at www.brownpapertickets.com/event/110822.
- Also, also Friday: First Friday Follies at the Stork Club in Oakland, 2330 Telegraph Avenue. This month features a very special tribute to the almighty Queen! Freddy Mercury style mustaches will be passed out at the door for donation! It will be epic! Starring Rubenesque Burlesque, Monifa, Ophelia Coeur de Noir, Kitty Von Quim, Miss Balla Fire, Francine Dead, Chi Chis del Fuego, and Pick-Up Artist, BB Dahl! With emcee Margaret France. Musical guest will be Insex Music. 9pm. No cover, but donations are welcome at the door. 21+ w/ID.
- Saturday, June 5: Burlesque n' Brass at Cafe Van Kleef in Oakland, 1621 Telegraph Avenue. Come join the Hot Pink Feathers and Blue Bone Express at Cafe Van Kleef for sets and sets of not only live, but exceedingly lively music and dance! Three sets of music, four sets of dance, to be exact. Experience romantic tributes to Pink Martini and Ella Fitzgerald. See the Feathers immortalize the "Mad Men" theme in new choreography! Doors at 8:30pm, show at 9:30. $10, 21+ w/ID.
- Sunday, June 6: Flabulous 2! Fatter Than Ever! at The African American Art & Culture Complex in San Francisco, 762 Fulton Street. Flabulous! 2: Fatter Than Ever! is the second live performance production by Kentucky Fried Woman and Jay Walker featuring fat queers and their allies, highlighting the lived experiences of fat queers and envisioning revolutionary possibilities for fighting body fascism and embracing all bodies as beautiful. Featuring Ruby Vixen, Holy McGrail, Brock Cocker, Phat Fly Girls, Juicy D. Light, Delicio del Toro, Rubenesque Burlesque, Alysia Angel & Dottie Lux, Jukie Sunshine & Drew Montana, and many more! 7-10pm. $12-20, sliding scale. Advance tickets available at www.brownpapertickets.com/event/110828.
- Monday, June 7: Uptown Hubba Hubba at the Uptown in Oakland, 1928 Telegraph Avenue. This coming Monday, the Hubba Hubba Revue has a line-up guaranteed to put the skip right back in your flip-flops! They've got Casey Castille, Sheba Queen of the Night, The Reverend Mother, Honey Lawless, Bubble Yum, Miss Lida Fire, Milkshake, comedienne Mary Van Note, and Zip the What-Is-It?! Plus special guest comedy-juggler Frank Olivier! Doors at 9pm, show at 10:15. $5, 21+ w/ID.
As always, for more information, please check the calendar above. Also, you may want to check back during the week to see if there are and late additions to this schedule. And if you have a burlesque show or information about a show you would like to add to the calendar, please email me at sfbr AT gmx DOT com.