Calendar of Events

Wednesday, May 14, 2008

Welcome to the San Francisco Burlesque Review!

Hi! My name is Maxwell Wood, and this is the very first posting of the San Francisco Burlesque Review! Woo hoo!

I suppose an introduction is in order. You, the reader, may be wondering why I decided to start this blog. Why am I adding to the blogosphere? That's a fair question! And here's the (not so short) answer....

I have a friend, Josie Starre, who became a burlesque performer a few years ago. Being the supportive and wonderful guy that I am *winks*, I went to some of her shows to provide support. A funny thing happened, though. I discovered that burlesque is fun! Far from being the "gentlemen's club" kind of event I thought it would be, burlesque is funny, yet sexy and very female-oriented. In fact, there are often as many or more women in the audiences as men!

Having Josie as a friend made finding burlesque events to attend rather simple. She'd email me--along with a number of her other friends--about shows at which she would be performing. Pretty easy. We'd also go to see some other shows together. So I considering she performs regularly--and that she goes to quite a few shows in which she doesn't perform--finding burlesque shows was not a problem for me.

It wasn't until recently, however, that I've noticed that there isn't an easy way for the general public to know about these shows. Sure, those who are involved in the scene knew about events, but for the general public, there is really no central source of information about burlesque in the area. If you Google "burlesque" and "San Francisco," you'll find some sites that will provide some information about upcoming shows, but many of them are dead ends. Plus you may be visiting some "gentlemen's club" sites, too!

Well, have no fear! Super Burlesque Max is here! Haha. I've started this blog to fill in that information gap. So below you'll find a calendar with listings of burlesque events around the San Francisco Bay Area. In addition, I'll be posting individual entries for events and special offers.

But there's more! Hehe. I'm also thinking about posting some interviews with local performers and some tips for those who want to become involved in burlesque.

So if you have a burlesque-related event that you want me to include in the calendar, please send the relevant information (who, what, where, when, why, how much, etc.) to me at sfbr@gmx.com. Feel free to contact me also if you have any suggestions or story ideas.

Hope you enjoy the the blog, and let's get out there and enjoy some burlesque! Hopefully, we'll be able to pack the clubs to the rafters!

Welcome to the San Francisco Burlesque Review!SocialTwist Tell-a-Friend

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hey! I've been a part of the SF burly scene since 2003, and will be in the upcoming Hubba Hubba Revue show August 15th at the DNA. Let me know if you want any pics or archived info from shows I've seen and done in SF since '03...the burlesque world here has been awesome! --- Besides my weird and freaky solo stuff, I've been in SF's Famous Burlesque Orchestra and Revue, Spectacular!Spectacular!, The Gun Street Girls, Glitzkrieg, and am now mainly part of The Hubba Hubba Revue since I moved to LA (boooo! hiss!!!). Anyway, I LOVE that you're doing this blog. You rock!
xo
*Roxy Shocks, The San FranPsycho Treat*

Maxwell Wood said...

Thanks for the comment, Roxy! I'll see ya at the August Hubba Hubba show. And I have been curious about the pre-2006 burlesque scene in SF...

Thanks again for the comment! :)